From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:44:26 -0600
At 12:53 PM 8/22/98 , Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>        I could certainly use your expertise!  I've done some of my own
>homework, but I'm sure someone out there has some experience with
>these components.
>        I'm building my first system on my own!  This is what I've boiled
>it down to:
>
>        Motherboard:  ABIT BX6 Jumperless
>        Processor:    Intel Pentium II 350
>        Memory:       PC100 64MB (1 SDRAM)
>        Hard Drive:   Western Digital 3.2G
>        Video Card:   Diamond Viper V330 4MB AGP
>        Case:         Pearl ATX Mid-Tower
>        OS:           Windows 98 (clean install)
>...along with 1.44 floppy, CD-ROM, sound card, etc...
>

>        Looking at what I've decided on, are there any known conflicts,
>problems, incompatibilities, etc?  I've been told that I could
>overclock a Celeron on this motherboard, but I certainly don't know
>enough about all of that to even BEGIN to think about it!
>        Any advice or advanced warnings would be GREATLY appreciated!!

First,  I believe you have made good choices on all of your hardware.

I would avoid the Celeron chip.   The chip was manufactured for one purpose,
to provide a low end option for computer manufactures.  This chip was intended
to allow the big boys of computer mass production to build the below $1,000
system with a PII chip.   It lacks onboard L2 cache and was designed to fit into
the EX chipset.   I have not purchased or used this chip todate.   However, I
understand there exists problems with mounting it in the LX or BX chipset
boards.   This is an issue with securing the chip to the board using the normal
PII mounting brackets.

If you can afford an extra $150 or so...   I would suggest you consider two things:
1)  Double the amount of ram (2 - 64mg SDRAM chips)
2)  Use a larger hard drive, at least 4gig or 6gig drive

The one issue I hear more than any other today is systems running out of
system resources.   Hard drive space and ram memory are the easiest to
up-size from the beginning.   You may not ever experience this problem,
but the trend is to applications that use larger amounts of both drive space
and ram.   If you use multiple applications at once, the issue of ram can
be critical.

These are only issue to consider.  I am not critizing your system choices as
it sounds like you have some excellent choices and the computer will give
you very good service.

BOB WRIGHT  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : PC-MS : VPLANETS
                             PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES