From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:54:47 -0500
If you have to have more than 64 meg ram on such a board for Photoshop or
Pagemaker, etc, go into cmos and disable external cache.  I would do this
without testing to see if the board is stable after installing the ram
upgrade, since the annoying little program crashes associated with installed
ram exceeding the board's ability to cache sometimes corrupt the windows
registry, which can be difficult to recover. If the extra ram is really
necessary, then the modest performance penalty of having no external cache
is a non-issue.  IF you have a VIA chipset motherboard, you won't have this
problem.  I don't really believe any board design would cache 'some' of your
ram (the first 64meg).  In my experience, all your installed ram was
successfully cached, or the board became unstable when more than 64meg was
present and external cache was enabled.
Tom Turak