From:
ken kovler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:13:05 -0500
A little progress report on my attempt to get the second hard drive
installed. I used the disk manager from the manufacturer of the hard drive.
This allowed the drive to be installed without any problems. Apparently my
bios does not support drives larger then 524Mbytes. A couple of questions
are still on my mind.

1) Is it normal after using as disk manager to have the bios report at boot
time that my slave drive is only a 450Mbyte, even though windows 95 see's
the full partition space of the whole drive which is two 1.2Mbyte partitions?

If I examine the bios(slave drive) the number of cylinders, heads,precomp,
landing zone, and sectors are correct in the bios, but not the actual size.
IMPORTANT: The bios does not allow me to change the size even though it is
USER defined! It has it selected as 450.

 Incidentally my primary hard drive which also uses a disk manager comes up
as a 1.2Mbyte after the bios detects it. Why does this drive get detected
with its full capacity, but my slave does not?

2) The drive I installed is capable of running in mode 4, however the bios
detects it as mode 0. Any chance I can get it to run in mode 4?

3) lastly, I noticed the slave drive's overlay at bootup is now displayed
instead of the original  overlay on the active or master drive. There are
two different hard drives on this system, thus there are two disk managers.
I would have expected the original drive overlay to remain. Any reason for
this?

Thanks;  Ken

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html