From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:28:29 -0700
On 27 Oct 2006 at 8:25, Tomaing, Lynette (Port Moresby) wrote:

> I have a toshiba laptop that just stopped working all of a sudden with
> this error message "INVALID DISK & CHECK SUM (cmos)".
>
> Can someone help me fix the problem.

  Configuration information for the machine, including basic parameters of
hard drives, is stored in CMOS memory which retians its contents courtesy of
a small battery.  A "checksum" value is calcuated and also stored there; if
the contents of this memory get corrupted, odds are very good that the
checksum value will no longer match the calculation, so the problem will be
detected.

  More than 80% of the time, a checksum error indicates that the small
battery for the CMOS has run dry, and the configuration must be recreated.
This will continue every time you reboot until the battery is replaced.

  Since this is a laptop, you may wish to get a shop to replace the battery
for you.

David Gillett

> This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
> are addressed.
>
> If you have received this E-mail in error please notify the originator
> of the message. This footer also confirms that this E-mail message has
> been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

> sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states
> them to be the views of Barrick Gold of Australia Limited.
>
> If you are the recipient but no longer want to receive these messages,
> please click the following link  [log in to unmask]
>
> If you have any queries on the above or in the event the unsubscribe
> facility does not work please contact:
>
> Barrick Gold of Australia Limited
> Level 10/2 Mill Street
> Perth, WA.  6000
>
> Phone: +61 8 9212 5777
> Facsimile: +61 8 9322 5700

  This kind of legal boilerplate raises several issues:

1.  It should be separated from the message content by some strong visual
indicator, such as a line of dashes that runs most of the way across the
page.

2.  It is, so far as I have been able to determine, utterly unenforceable,
especially internationally.

3.  It indicates that you are using an email account for which participation
on lists like this may be a violation of your employer's workplace policies.
 Not wanting to get you (or the listowners!) in trouble, I recommend that
you sign up for a free webmail account, such as with HotMail, Yahoo, Google,
or whomever, and use *that* for your list subscription and submissions.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com