From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:00:35 -0400
There's not enough confusion about this subject, so here's some more.
I'm running a single drive on my ASUS RAID controller. This is designated as
Promise 1 + 0 Stripe and it came about when my RAID  setup died and I wanted
to use a single disk on that controller. One of these days I'll figure out
why it's called RAID when it's a single disk.
On another point, both SATA and PATA are IDE.
Wikipedia:
"The term *Integrated Drive Electronics* (IDE) refers not just to the
connector and interface definition, but also to the fact that the drive
controller <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_controller> is integrated
into the drive, as opposed to a separate controller on or connected to the
motherboard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard>."<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment#cite_note-3>

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Ray Parrish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The RAID card was mistake. It's designed for using pairs or more of hard
> drives to write data to in a fashion that either stripes the data onto the
> drives to spread the file load around simulating a larger drive on the two
> of them, or write the data to both of them together, to create a redundant
> file system with the data duplicated on both drives.
>
> Either way you need at least two drives to mount a RAID file system. I'm
> not even sure if you can hook up a single drive to a RAID controller and get
> it to work by itself. You should have looked for a plain SATA drive
> controller card. I've never actually had a RAID  setup myself 'though, so I
> suppose it might be possible to forego installing the RAID drivers, and just
> use the card as a SATA drive controller only, and it might work that way.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>