From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:40:04 -0500
Greetings Russ, Larry, & List--
----- Original Message -----
From: Russ Poffenberger
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Setup WinXP with "r" option

At 08:31 AM 1/5/2005, you wrote:

Paul;
There is a backup of this file in C:\windows\repair
Here is a microsoft article on how to restore a corrupted registry that
applys to your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Paul,

You may have to be careful if the XP home is an OEM installed version
(pre-installed from HP), the following warning exists in the above mentioned
KB article..

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your
computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM
installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist
previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you
may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the
original registry hives.

However, if this is your last resort, it can't hurt to try.
-------------end original messages---------------------
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had tried starting with last known
good configuration from the boot menu reached by tapping F8 as the
computer booted. This didn't work. What finally did work (without
resorting to replacing the c:\windows\System32\config\system file with
the one found in the c:\windows\repair folder [I'm not sure about how
I would even get to that point.]) was starting in Safe Mode, then
doing a system restore to an earlier date. He had a restore point at
December 23, 2004, and it worked. Needless to say, once I had
the laptop running properly, I created another restore point.

Thanks for all the input.

Paul A. Shippert
Utilitarian
Margaret Brent Middle School
The saddest aspect of life right now is that
science gathers knowledge faster than
society gathers wisdom. - Isaac Asimov