From:
Ron Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:52:52 -0500
A friend of mine wants to upgrade the network between his home and his
office, which is about 50 feet away.  He is adamant about not running wires
between the two buildings.  The house is over 100 years old, located on the
edge of an historic district.  We've installed a home phoneline network
which was working acceptably.  He has a cable modem inside the house, shared
with the office computers.

He upgraded his office computers to new Dells running Windows XP Pro.  The
new machines don't seem to like the HPNA system with a Windows 98 "host"
running MS ICS (internet connection sharing).  I did get the network set up
and all computers could see each other and share files and printers.  The
W98 host could access the internet, but not any of the XP computers.  They
turned off the W98 computer last night and today it can't access the
internal network.

I've thought about an Ethernet-HPNA bridge.  I've also thought about pulling
the HPNA network and installing 802.11b wireless.  He was concerned about
the wireless broadcast quality and if that would be affected by poor
weather.  Anyone have experience with 802.11b wireless between buildings?

Any suggestions on what to do or networks to try?  As always, the cheaper
the better.
Thanks for your help,
Ron Jobe

---