From:
Steve Polatas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:55:55 -0500
It's been a while since we have discussed everyone's opinions on the "best" components for a home-built system, so, listers willing, I would like to start one.

I have a "power user" friend who has asked me for my opinions on what components he should use for a PC that he wants to build (1st time).  Figuring that many opinions are better than one, I am soliciting opinions from my fellow PCBuild subscribers on what he should consider.

Here is a rundown of his "requirements":
                ·     Budget - $4000
·     Speed, speed, speed
·     Dual processor capable motherboard
·     Applications to be used: MSOffice2000, Paint Shop Pro, ProEngineer, Internet
(ProE requires adequate RAM, adequate disk space, and S3 compatible graphics or 3D hardware acceleration with OpenGL capabilities and 8MB video RAM minimum)
                ·     SCSI controller and drives
·     Backup Solution (tape, disk, optical, ?)
·     Comprehensive graphics capabilities including future LCD monitor
·     Adequate power supply for possible future expansion
·     Case with accessibility, expansion room, and ventilation

I would like to concentrate only on the case and its contents as he already has a monitor, keyboard and mouse to use for now.  Please offer suggestions on motherboard (type/brand), processor(s) (type/brand), FSB, power supply (type/brand), hard drive, CD (ROM,R,RW,DVD,?), floppy or LS120, graphics card(s) (type/brand), backup device (type/brand), and any other items for consideration.

I realize that I've left things kind of open.  Be creative.  We're looking for the most bang for the buck here, so make suggestions accordingly.  If you need any more information to make your recommendations, for the sake of speed, please send them to me personally as well as to the list as I can only manage a "digest" subscription with my current volume of mail.  I will respond back to the list with answers to any questions.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

Steve Polatas
Y2KOK in Ohio

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html