From:
Richard Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:32:33 +0800
Walter R. Worth, on Thursday, June 24, 1999 6:06 AM, wrote:

Fellow list members - I have a  PB Pentium Platinum Supreme 1850, 233Mhz,
40mb RAM, 56k modem computer that has a Goldstar CD-ROM CRD-8240B that I am
having problems with.  Under system properties (OSR2.x), it reports that the
"device" is working properly, however, when I place a "clean" or "new" CD in
the tray and click on the CD player icon, the message "drive" is not
accessible.... appears.

Walter,
I had the exact same CD-ROM, the LG CRD-8240B and it ranks high on the
unreliable list with a high failure rate.  I bought it to replace a dead
Creative CD-ROM and had the LG working for about a year when it started to
show the same symptoms as you now report.  When I spoke to my dealer then he
told me he had so many returns and repairs on that model he got burned
badly.  I could get it working right after some manual calibration (a firm
whack on the floor after it's yanked out of the case!) but the problem would
return after a few weeks.  Beware the tray mechanism as it will be the next
to go.  Only CD-ROM where I had to pry open the try to retrieve a CD.  It's
now a doorstop, replaced by an ASUS 40X.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Richard