From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 05:02:37 -0500
On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:38:00 -0500, "James W. Christian" <[log in to unmask]>
posted article <[log in to unmask]>, which said:

> hi i have a (IBM aptiva 2168 M40) formatted it and now i do not have
> any sound, went  to control panel then multimedia and  where it says
> (show volume control on task bar) it has a check mark in the box but
> it is grayed out and not showning on the task bar how can i get the
> speaker back on the task bar so i can adjust the volumes,  thanks
> very much   james w. christian   [log in to unmask]

Sounds like your systray.exe isn't running at bootup.  You can run MSCONFIG
by going to the start menu, clicking RUN and type MSCONFIG in the text box.
Then click on the StartUp tab and see if there's a checkmark by an entry
called SystemTray.  If not, tick the box to activate it.  On the next
reboot, you should be able to access your speaker control in the system
tray.

If there is no SystemTray entry in your MSCONFIG utility, you might be able
to get it to run properly by placing a shortcut to
c:\windows\system\systray.exe in your Startup folder in the start menu.

Ethan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml