From:
Douglas Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:56:06 -0400
At 7/20/2002 01:35 PM, Ron Jobe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I've got two problems with an old Windows 95 system.  The
first is that when
I try to start a dial-up session, I get an error in
RUNDLL32.DLL.  Clicking
on Details yields an error in different programs, most
often TAPI.EXE

I also struggled with continuous errors on trying to dial
out and even re-installs of DUN didn't fix it.  I finally
located an article that described a corruption in a file
called "telephon.ini" in Windows 95 which would cause the
problem.   It is a text file and when I opened it I could
see where binary characters were in places that they
shouldn't be in.  The article stated that this file could
be deleted and it could be re-built using a program file in
Windows called tapiini.exe.  I re-named the file, double
clicked on tapiini.exe and sure enough, another
telephon.ini was built and my problems disappeared.  It is
some sort of cache which holds information about numbers
that are, or may be, dialed.

Windows 95 re-installs didn't help since this file is not
overwritten on a re-install.

Even though the error message is not the same, you can
refer to the problem description in the MS Knowledgebase
at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q191152

Hope this works.

Doug