From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 01:08:21 -0700
Be very cautious when recycling parts from a machine that cato'ed that
badly, especially if the failure was caused by a power surge (read as
lightning) as a previous poster mentioned. High voltage surges through
circuitry may not cause an outright failure, but certainly can shorten the
life of delicate chips. Hard disk and CD-ROM controller boards are less
susceptible to that damage then RAM, but the potential still exists. Test
any salvaged parts in a spare machine (read as thrash them with intensive
tasks) before trusting them to your production machine, if at all possible.
Such testing will weed out bad parts without endangering the health of your
best computer. Also, as another previous poster replied, be sure to look up
what specs the old parts must meet to fit into a new machine. Good luck on
your parts recycling. :)