From:
Jeffrey Madore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:59:43 -0500
Bill,

I have temporarily fixed processor fans. Usually the bearings are the issue. They get gummed up with dirt or just wear out from lack of lubrication. If that is the problem, and you can get at them, you might try a little very light oil to loosen them up.

First remove the processor fan and look for bearings. Sometimes there is a sticker over them that you can peel back to expose the bearing. Add a drop of light oil and rotate the fan to work it in. Then connect the wire and fire it up momentarily to see if it spins. (I say momentarily because you don't want the computer to boot windows and mess things up by shutting it down improperly.) Just hold the fan in your hand and maybe try giving it a spin.

Don't run without cooling, as you might / will destroy the processor.

If the above failed and I needed to remove data from the machine I would do one of the below:

1. Connect the hard drive as "slave" in another machine.

2. Get some method of reasonable air flow across the heat sink on the processor. You must use the heat sink. Reverse a shop vac and duck tape the hose to the frame of the machine so that it blows on the processor heat sink. Put in ear plugs :-) and go to work!

Hope this is of some help,

Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com