From:
Louis Smogor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 07:29:55 -0500
Hi -

Returned from a journey to hear that one computer and monitor at home no
longer work. Supposition is that an electrical storm did them in.

The computer won't boot, but when all peripherals are disconnecetd, it will
run its POST OK. In the course of determining this, we discovered that the
case is not grounded; one gets a slight tingle from touching it (power
supply has no on/off switch).

Clearly this is not right. All further investigations have been put off
since fiddling with components while not grounded cannot be a good thing.
I can externally ground the case, of course, but that seems like cheating.

Anyone have an idea about what could have caused this? It hardly seems
likely that lightning could have done it. Any other way to proceed than to
get a new powersupply (old computer, maybe not worth the effort).

Suggestions/explanations will be gratefully received.

Lou Smogor

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com