From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:57:01 -0700
I can't help you with the Compaq, but I know something about the Cyrix.
Back in the Pentium and MMX era I ran a Cyrix 166, and a 200 for a while.
The 200 was the first CPU that ran with a 75Mhz FSB. I used it on my NT4
server. Cyrix was always touted as a Windows performer, targeted for Office
users, not gamer, or CAD users. Cyrix, like AMD, in this generation,  had
poor FPU benchmarks, but adequate MIPS. They were, however, a lot cheaper
then Pentium  processors.

Cyrix would put your CPU right up there with a PII 350, running under
Windows, but I wouldn't ,and nor would independent benchmarks. I would put
it right around a AMD K6 300, or a Celeron 300. It was an inexpensive CPU,
that were put in mostly, by OEM manufactures, in give away boxes.  For
example, this is what "People PC" was giving away when you signed up with
them for Internet service.

If you find out your board supports a AMD K62, I would swap it out. You
should be able to find any of these CPUs on EBAY for 5 bucks.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

At 04:25 PM 4/18/2005, you wrote:
>I am trying to locate some specs on the Compaq Presario 2286 computer. What
>I found so far is that it is a Cyrix 333MHz machine with a 4GB hard drive
>and 32MB RAM. The reported RAM, however, is only 28MB - where did the other
>4MB go? Also, I know the Cyrix name and just a bit about it, but how does
>the CPU compare to the Pentium line - what is it equivalent to?
>
>Google search did not get me a spec for the Presario, and www.compaq.com was
>not responding. Also, what is the hot key to get into the BIOS? I managed to
>activate it by pressing all the common keys, but I have not determined which
>specific key it was (alt S, del, ins, etc).
>Peter

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml