From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:05:37 -0700
Fellow list members - I have a  PB Pentium Platinum Supreme 1850, 233Mhz,
40mb RAM, 56k modem computer that has a Goldstar CD-ROM CRD-8240B that I am
having problems with.  Under system properties (OSR2.x), it reports that the
"device" is working properly, however, when I place a "clean" or "new" CD in
the tray and click on the CD player icon, the message "drive" is not
accessible.... appears.
This computer is about one year old and is one of four that I own.  I have
read quite a few negative reports about this drive from other newsgroups and
Packard Bell's tech support does have a clue as to what the problem maybe.
Other than this problem, this machine has been very reliable.  I am very
knowledgeable about computers (very humbly stated) and aside from opening
the case and voiding the warranty,  I would like to ask if any of you have
experience this, in general, with CD-ROM drives.  If the drive is "dead" as
I  suspect it maybe, I plan to replace it with a Toshiba 32x drive.  Any
suggestions will be appreciated.  I have followed all the known
troubleshooting techniques in an attempt to resolve this problem. :-)

Walter

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org