From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:05:03 -0800
On 21 Jul 98 at 10:45, Chuck Hassenplug wrote:

> I need a 2D video card to accompany my Righteous 3D 4MB
> accelerator.

> What would be the best cost-effective 2D card to get (4 or 8 MB)?

  A 4 MB card should allow you to use a full 16 million colours at
1024x768, and might let you push it a bit higher.  8 MB may allow
even higher resolutions, but odds are good your monitor can't keep
up.  On some cards, 8 MB will give a performance boost.
  But on the whole, I'd say that 4 MB is plenty for current monitor
technology, and that there are better ways to spend the extra.
  Personally, I recommend the Matrox Millenium II as a good 2D card.

> Would it be a waste for it to have 3D capabilities since my voodoo
> chipset would already run my 3D programs?

  Right you are!  [And if I were going to put an extra 4 MB of video
RAM in this machine, I'd add it to the 3D card rather than the 2D.]

David G