From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:35:54 -0400
At 03:03 PM 8/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I have always had Intel systems but now have the chance to buy an AMD
>Athlon xp1500+ which includes 128 SDRAM, 40 gig drive, 24x10x40 CD-RW,
>integrated 3D graphics, 10/100 Lan/56k V90 modem, keybd, mouse, 17" Daytek
>monitor and Windows XP for
>Candian $900 or approximately
>US $565.
>The system will be used for web browsing, e-mail and some small office
>applications ie: Word, Quicken etc.  I am not a gamer.
>Is this system going out of date?

A system is out of date the moment you got it. There will always be
something faster and cheaper in the near future. For what you want to do,
it's very adequate. Actually, the computer you could buy at a similar price
a year to 2 years ago is adequate for your need. The only suggestion I have
is try to get at least 256MB of memory for XP. 128MB is ok for Windows 95,
98SE but Windows 2000 or XP run smoother with more. You will notice speed
improvement if you have 256MB.

>Is this an adequate system?
>Is the price a good one?
>Any and all experiences with such a system would be appreciated.
>Marilyn

I checked pricewatch.com and chose the price in the middle of the first
page (close to the cheapest price)
XP1500+ - $65
PC133 128SDRAM - $19
40GB 5400rpm HD - $64
24X10X40 CDRW - $42
17" monitor - $121
keyboard - $20 (could be less)
mouse - $12 (could be less)

Not sure about these
WinXP? maybe $150, probably a Home version.
mainboard with video, LAN - ? maybe $120

It's around US$580 with a lot of hassles. So, it's a good deal if they give
you a good warranty.

Good luck, you will enjoy your new system.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml