From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:07:19 +0200
Hello Harvey,

HS> I have read that it is preferable to keep your PC running
HS> all the time rather than switching it on or off several times
HS> a day: the exception being if you don't plan to use it for
HS> several days.

  I think that the prime reason for running PC 24/7 is conveniency,
and other factors are not significant - read on for proof.

  The state-of-the-art power management system will shut down HDD, sleep
the CPU, and even stop fans connected to motherboard; moreover,
monitors and most of the peripherals (scanners, printers, etc.) will
enter "sleep" mode after some time and the power consumed will be
minimal (but still a little more than shut-down PC).

  On the other hand, there is little "mechanical" difference between
starting a sleeping PC and powering up. The CPU is a little over case
temperature when sleeping; HDD is started again; the monitor is
switched on. The thermal shock effects and HDD spin-up problems apply
here too, so the lifespan of sleeping vs. shutdown PC should not be
dramatically different.

  What IS different is the OS loading time. Typical recovery time from
sleep is about 5-10 sec. - while HD spins up and monitor brightens; on
the other hand, Windows NT loading takes over 1.5 min., and don't
forget logon time [+30 sec] on Pentium-MMX 200; Win98 takes 45 sec. on
Celeron 400; cut it 200% for Athlon [it will be 20 sec.] and one will
still get twofold increase. As can be seen the times are radically
different.

  I state this as the prime reason. When one uses the PC routinely in
his work and life, he/she will use it whenever the need comes; just
sits in the chair and touches the mouse, and when it is no more needed
just walks away and it will go to sleep. For example, if one receives
a phone call and wants to write down some info, powering a PC is not
an option - it takes too long. Waking up a sleeping PC is different,
and I always run EditPad to write down small notes and things to be
remembered.
  Additionally, don't forget about all these programs that run when your
PC is on: fax, answering machine, instant messaging, email notifiers,
personal organizers, etc.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| FAX (413)431-4014               ICQ 2386792
|
| Freelance website and graphics designer
| Visit my site : http://maxwd.hypermart.net
|
| Editor - Graphics artist
| NOSPIN group