From:
"Lance W. Kephart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:24:58 -0700
Mick,

>However, it now appears that the display/screen
>is not working either. I do not believe this is
>a fault and I believe one can press a combination
>of keys during boot up to change between the
>laptop monitor and a VDU.

Well, any long shot is worth trying, I suppose!
Is there any kind of a key labled FN? It's usually
located down by the CTRL or ALT keys.  If so,
look at the F keys and see if they are labled,
usually the same color as the FN key, with
either text or pictures.  Try holding the FN
key and pressing those keys and see what
happens.  Each laptop uses different symbols,
so it would be hard to guess what might be on
the F keys.

You may also want to plug an external monitor
in while your at it, that way if something
starts to happen, you 'should' be able to see
it one way or the other (and sometimes both).

>Now this is where it gets more difficult as the
>laptop has no manurefactures markings to help me
>ID the make & model.

This is surprising! Nothing in the battery
compartment, or hard drive or floppy drive
compartment (if removable)?

Is the case easy to disassemble from the bottom?
There may something on the inside of the case.

Best of luck!
Lance Kephart
Kephart's Korner
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/vista/7192