From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:20:32 -0700
> How are they expanding the signal from one building to another?

  In my buddy's case, it's within a single large house.  The situation is
similar, but not identical.

> What is the purpose of a wireless network access
> point (Linksys WAP11) on top of the wireless router (D-Link Dl-624)?
> Isn't the wireless router the access point?  They've got the modem;
> then, in a tower configuration: wireless router, wireless access point,
> wireless signal booster.

  There may be an option to configure the access point as a "wireless
workgroup bridge", providing a wireless "uplink" (to the router) for a wired
network segment in an outlying building, a bit less expensively than
equipping every machine with its own wireless adapter.

David Gillett

On 22 Aug 2005 at 14:58, Diane Duncan wrote:

> David Gillett wrote:
>
> >  A buddy of mine recently encountered a similar situation where he wondered
> >about connecting DSL client computers to two different extensions in the
> >house.  I had to tell him that I would be amazed if that would work -- that
> >a far more certain option was to put his wireless router on his existing DSL
> >jack and use Ethernet and=or wireless to provide connectivity to the rest of
> >the property.
> >David Gillett
> >
> How are they expanding the signal from one building to another?  I
> need to clear trees and fog.
> Here, they have the network wireless within the main
> house.  It isn't very consistent, even though they've implimented a
> Linksys range expander at the bottom of the stairway and a signal booster on top
> of the wireless router.  Sometimes I think this house is a residence
> trying to be a business, in terms of all the wiring of phones and
> computers and satellite widgets.(no, not-off track whatevers, just
> info and gadget junkies...truly clicker hell)
>
> Another question:
> What is the purpose of a wireless network access
> point (Linksys WAP11) on top of the wireless router (D-Link Dl-624)?
> Isn't the wireless router the access point?  They've got the modem;
> then, in a tower configuration: wireless router, wireless access point,
> wireless signal booster.
>
> Diane
> PS...apologies for the crazy formatting; can't seem to wrangle Thunderbird.
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>