From:
"Paul%20A.%20Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:27:19 +0000
Greetings--

If you've been using the eMachines restore disk with a 'foreign' motherboard, that could, indeed be the source of the problem.  Typically, these disks are little more than self-booting image restore disks, and will be 'tied' to the motherboard hardware originally installed (audio chipset, north bridge and south bridge chipsets, etc.).  If you  acquire a retail WinXP disk and boot to it --I'll assume you know not to press 'R' for repair from console, but to strike "Enter" and let Windows tell you there is already an OS installed, and do you want to repair it?.  You will, of course, have to input the key code for the retail WinXP disk you use to make the repair at a certain point.  You will also need to go online to Microsoft (Windows) Update to bring the OS up to date.  This will need to be done several times, due to updates designed to install on 'updated systems'.  There may also be a problem with activation, depending on where/whether you've used the OS disk before.  Be sure to write down the telephone number for a 'call-in' activation.  Your situation should make this a no-brainer for MS, but it may be that an across the Internet activation may not work, given your parts replacement and OS reinstall situation.

HTH

Paul A. Shippert

1