Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:45:57 +0300
On 14 Sep 2004 at 23:22, Harvey Alaric <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I wish to build my own PC from scratch.  I know many of you out there have
> done just that and I would be grateful if you could send me your tried and
> true "recipes" for building a good, dependable PC. I don't need anything
> super, just something which will handle a burner, printer and scanner, with
> WindowsXP.  Something fully upgradable for future operating systems, of
> course.  Also, as few integrated elements as possible, even though my
> budget is limited. Thanks very much in advance.

I. Components:
opinions.

3. At each time there are other recommended components, at the top of the
list, you pay quite a lot for each improvement. For example, the
difference in CPU power between Athlon64 3200, and Athlon64 3400, is small
relative to a rather big difference in the price. This is less the story
in the lower price CPUs, where the difference in price are much smaller
relative to the difference in quality. The exact choice depends on the
price you want to invest, and also in your potential uses of the computer.

4. Don't invest in something that you'll need only a few years from now.

5. Power supply units are important for the stability of your computer.
I've seen power supplies that worked well until the gone mad and destroyed
the motherboards as well.

6. The same is for motherboards. Pay attention to the choice of Chipset.
On AMD I prefer EPOX or Gigabyte, and on Intel (if at all) I prefer Asus,
but other options should not be ruled out, and the discussion should go
with reference to specific models. If you want to choose between a few
motherboards ask for advice that takes into account the specific models.

7. CDRW: even the very cheap LG models seem to do a good job.

8. Offers for built systems are sometimes not well balanced. They look at
first sight as much cheaper than what you can buy, but usually they invest
in things that "sell" on account of the other components.

9. Warranty: how much for each component and where you should bring the
component.

10. If you want to use RAM in a manner that use DUAL DDR, then check that
it does synchronize.

11. If you use the PC only for Internet and Office applications, then
don't invest on an expensive display card. If you use it for heavy modern
games, then it might be needed.

12. You may consider microATX motherboard. Today, there is less need for
PCI cards, and in the cheaper category, it might make things cheaper but
not on account of quality.

II. Building
============
1. Do pay the time to read all the manuals and instructions that come with
the componments. Read them carefully. Many things can go wrong, if you
connected things to the wrong places. Forgot to do something.

2. If after building the PC, it doesn't work, don't be pressed. It might
be a very small issue. e.g. a plug that slightly went out of its socket,
during installation of other components.

3. If there are jumpers, understand them and what they mean.

4. In the BIOS, first choose to reset it to the optimized values, and then
make the needed changes.

III. After building it, check that the temperatures are ok. It is
recommended to check the hard disks before counting on them. Especially if
they are new. It might take the time.

Uzi

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml