From:
Matthew Wulfman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:09:09 -0700
Hi Paul,
Refresh rates vary by resolution (pixel count) on screen... ie are you
running at 1024x768 or 800x600 or ?  Generally, the higher the
resolution (pixel count) the lower the refresh rate so any question on
the subject must include resolution.

Some monitor manufacturers provide inf files for some monitors and the
easiest and safest solution to a situation like this is to install and
use them if they are available.  The light lines do inddeed resemble the
behavior of a monitor that is running just above what it can handle as a
refresh rate.

I fried an older monitor once pushing refresh rates so it is certainly
something to pay attention to.

Matthew

Paul Ryan wrote:

>     Hallo to all on the list.  I have a question regarding the shown refresh
> rate on a Sony CPD 100 ES it's rated at 85 Hz.  Running on a Ati Graphics
> Pro PCI. 2MB  When I set the refresh rate to optimal, the onscreen display
> shows 100 Hz (shown when you press brightness or contrast) and I also see
> light stripes on the monitor ( I see the picture clearly also but the
> lighter lines running up and down the monitor are noticeable).  To prevent
> damage to the monitor I set the refresh rate down to 70 Hz and this works
> for most of the programs except on some games. At first I thought that this
> was a problem related to Direct X but using the override on the Direct X
> diagnostic tool (also set to 70Hz) did not resolve the problem.  Question is
> has anyone seen this before and how did they solve the issue. Tools? or any
> hints would be greatly appreciated

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml