From:
Bill Kingsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:34:40 -0700
At 05:18 PM 6/11/2003, David wrote:

>I get nothing. I see my HD light and cdrom light go on, than the cd light
>goes off. and i get nothing, my screen is blank!
>
>this problem happens every time. i must leave the computer off for 20 secs
>and than it will startup. sometime its will go on up till i can choose my
>OS and it will than crash. I never have a problem with the computer
>crashing once it starts.

Did you visually check the motherboard capacitors ?

  " As far as the behaviour of the computers go the symptoms
  leading up to the failure include the system failing to boot,
  locking up  or rebooting randomly.  This develops over a long
  period of time with increasing severity.  On the claims that
  we have looked at the erratic and illogical behaviour of the
  computer system generated extensive and unsuccessful repairs
  and ultimately the replacement of the computer.  With repairer
  explanations ranging from viral attacks, overheating, hard disk
  failures, incorrect over clocking the CPU with a strong
  preference for power surges as a cause, we believe that many
  capacitor failures have been undiagnosed or misdiagnosed ..."

this from:  Faulty capacitors give rise to motherboard failures.
            http://www.timcousins.com.au/capacitorfailures.htm

Look at the metal tops of the larger, round capacitors on the
motherboard.  Are the tops buldging ?  Is there any carmel- brown
colored goo leaking (or tan colored salt extruding) from the tops
(or bottoms) of any of the larger-sized capacitors ?

. Pictures of Leaking Capacitors -
  http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/thumbnails.html
  http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/images.htm

. Repairing motherboards - Replacing capacitors -
  http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/faqs.htm
  http://www.vp6-board.com/caps1.htm
  http://www.glencoe.com/ps/ee/bsee/leaking.php?book=electricity
  http://www.overclockers.com/tips1081/
  http://tinyurl.com/e7h5   (slashdot.org)
     -> this page is large - search for these sections:
     1) Hi-Rel Motherboards Don't Use Electrolytic Caps
     2) Yep, I've been hit by this issue several times
     3) Fixing this yourself: a quick and dirty HOWTO
  http://tinyurl.com/e773   (slashdot.org)
     Re: Fixing this yourself: a quick and dirty HOWTO

. Motherboard repair - Capacitor Kits -->
  http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/capkit.htm

. Replacement Capacitor Specs -->
  http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/partinfo.htm

.