From:
Alan Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 11:05:01 -0700
Denise,
    When you say the screen went blank, did you have to restart the laptop?
Did you simply press a key to wake it up like it went into screen saver?
How old is the system, is the battery few years old?
    256 MB of RAM is not a lot for today's applications demand.  When you
have your anti-virus program running, you have very little left for other
programs.  You should look at your laptop's documentation for instruction on
how to add more RAM, but keep in mind, you will have to find a matching
stick of RAM because not all RAMs are created equal.
    If you don't want to go through that much trouble, then check out your
page files and increase the size of it would help.  To do so, right-click My
Computer, select Properties.  From System Properties, select the Advanced
tab, then click the Setting of Performance.  At Performance Options, select
the Advanced tab.  Click Change for the Virtual Memory.  In Virtual Memory,
select the drive to do the Paging, Use Custom Size:  Set the size to 1.5
times of your RAM, which in your case is 1.5 * 256 =  384 MB. Click OK when
you are done.  Hope this helps.
    For more information on Paging Files, visit Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us

Yours truly,
Alan