From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 22:32:38 -0500
Did your friend recently increase his ram amount?  Are you sure his chipset
on the motherboard can cache 128 meg of ram?  Some old Pentium era (or AMD
K6) motherboard chipsets could cache only 64 meg.  Installing more ram
causes the cache to become corrupted.  Go into Cmos setup and disable L2
cache.
If the errors all clear up then this is the problem.  Also, some ram errors
show up in windows installs as disk errors.  This is caused because the
win9x install begins in 16 bit mode and then switches to 32 bit mode, which
uses memory in a different scheme, which accesses a lot more memory
addresses.  This finds bad ram problems that the 16 bit mode did not notice,
then reports them as disk errors, probably because that is what windows was
trying to do when the install was corrupted.
Tom Turak