From:
Douglas E Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:55:02 -0400
Bob, the memory is new and the right ones for the
board and I tried each one at a time.  They
worked well enough initially to let the power
supply turn and off using the power button (not
the rear switch).  Now that the power supply
turns on and off only with the power switch (on
the PS) with the same configuration.  An aside
question: Can the motherboard POST without
memory?  I think not since most built in video
hardware uses shared memory.  The processor has
no discoloration and doesn't smell so that's a good sign.

Paul, I can't get the POST to start so never get
to the BIOS Setup to check the memory
voltage.  I'll check this when I can get to the BIOS setup.

The 30 day warranty has past so I'm on my own
here.  I think that I'll try a cheap memory stick
to do testing with so see if that will make a
change and then if not, I'll splurge for another
motherboard.   I really don't want to go too high
end since the PC will be used primarily for home
network shared data storage, printer sharing, and
quick lookups while in the den area.  Both the
wife and I have wireless laptops for our personal
use.  Sometimes we need a quick printout or to
store data for each other to use.  Also when
guests are in the house and need to access the
Internet or their email, it's convenient to have it available.

I'm not building a completely new system, but
replacing the motherboard due to a mishap with
some house painters (another long story).  I was
replacing the processor as an adjunct to the
upgrading of the PC.  I chose the EVGA both
because of cost and it does have a legacy IDE
connector so I can use my old hard drive
initially. I'm aware of the got-ya's in using a
drive from an old motherboard and the problems of
changing motherboard drivers on initial startup
so I don't have that concern initially.

I'll keep you up to date on my progress.  I've
been building my own home computers since 1976
(yes, pre-IBM PC) and love the tinkering and challenges.

Doug

At 8/24/2009 01:18 AM, Paul A. Shippert wrote:

>Bob's suggestions are all good, however; be sure
>that your RAM is being provided with appropriate
>voltage. I have assembled several computers, and
>on two of them (with ASUS motherboards, by the
>way), the default voltage for the system memory
>was only 1.7 volts. When I looked up the specs
>for the RAM I was using, I found that the
>voltage range was between 1.9 and 2.2 volts.
>Fortunately, I was able to adjust the RAM
>voltage in the CMOS setup area. (I had been
>getting BSODs intermittently for some time
>before I stumbled across this problem.) Once the voltage was˝
>  reset to a level within the specified range, I
> no longer received the BSODs. You might want to check this.
>
> >I'm replacing my motherboard and processor. I
> have the Intel Pentium E2200 dual core
> >processor and a EVGA e-7050/610i Motherboard - Socket 775.
>
> >Now with nothing connected except memory, when
> I turn on the power using the power
> >supply switch (not the power button) the fans
> all turn on and the PC acts as if it is
> >powered up.  The power button now has no effect.
> >
> >I'm asking for for your guesses as to whether the the CPU is bad or the
> >motherboard?  I'll probably end up buying both
> but I'd like to try one or the other
> >first.  The question is whether I should try a
> new CPU or Motherboard first.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml