From:
Tom Sykora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 03:58:50 -0500
Hi,
This past week wireless DSL became available where I live in the
boonies.  After years with first a satellite link and now dial-up, DSL will
hopefully be slick.  The four computers in my home have been networked with
an old ActionTec phoneline LAN that has worked very well but has only 1mb
transfer rate and may or may not work with the new wireless dsl. (ActionTec
said first no, then maybe)

I considered every thing for my new network, including the new Linksys
HPRO200 HPNA/10-100  combo/hybrid router with both r11 and r45 jacks for
117 bucks,  a 3Com 3c410 HPNA 10 mb per sec phoneline setup..48 dollars for
four nics, wireless, and standard routers with cat5 cable.

After a week of reading reviews and learning what  I could about LANS, I
settled on the NetGear RP614 router.  It cost a bit more, (49.95 shipped
from  Dell, after rebates and coupon discounts)  but the added features and
ease of setup made it seem like the best bang for my buck.  Pulling the
cable will be a challenge tho :(

The ordered DSL  service made me more aware of the need for a firewall, and
the old ActionTec  system might have worked, but I wanted a faster transfer
rate between computers, and also wanted a "hardware" NAT firewall.
Good Luck :)