From:
Susan Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:53:03 -0400
I recently looked in my Device Manager (under system properties) and saw
the following:

Under "hard disk controllers", both "primary IDE controller (dual fifo)"
and "secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)" have yellow exclamation points
beside them. When I click on properties, I get "this device is either not
present, is not working properly, or does not have all the drivers
installed" for both devices, but no other info. The third item listed under
"hard disk controllers" is "Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE controller",
with no problems listed. For this last device, when I click "properties"
and check under "settings" and under "dual IDE channel settings" it says
"default."

I have not changed the hardware or hardware configuration in any way
recently, nor have I installed any new software. Any ideas what might be
causing this? Machine is a Pentium P54C, 133 mhz, about two years old, 64
mb EDO RAM, running Win95B. I'm not sure which other information would be
relevant to this query; if anyone needs more, please say so. The only work
that has been done on this machine since I bought it, was a RAM upgrade.

I *have* been getting more seemingly random sorts of freeze-ups lately,
with no apparent pattern, i.e. programs (netscape, Eudora, ICQ) stop
responding and I need to reboot (soft boot, that is). Several times I've
had this happen with a "fatal exception at IFSMGR". (I saw the thread here
recently about that one, but it related to a scanner, which I do not have.)
The machine has a cd-rom and sound card, but no scanner or printer attached
or configured. This happens maybe once a day, with the machine being on all
day. Also, when the machine starts up, it seems to make more noise than
usual. Not any alarming sorts of clunking sounds, it just sounds like it's
reading the disk a lot more. (It's awfully hard to describe disk drive
noises in email, but I'm trying!)

Thank you.

Susan Sutherland

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**