From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 20:41:50 -0700
From:           	Michael Price <[log in to unmask]>

> To connect them directly you need a twisted pairs ethernet cable. Most
> PC outlets would have one.

  All modern Ethernet cables are "twisted pair" -- the 8 wires
are grouped in pairs, each of which is twidted together to
reduce interference.

  The cable that he needs is a *crossover*, which changes the
mapping of which pair goes to which pins, a separate
characteristic from whether each pair is twited inside the
cable.

  [Simple test:  Each of the eight wires is color-coded.  In a
normal Ethernet cable, if you hold up the clear plastic
connectors beside each other, you'll see the same colour
sequence at each end.  If the cable is a crossover, the "send"
at oneend connects to the "receive" at the other, and vice
versa, and so the colour sequencs will be different.]

  The normal state of affairs is for an Ethernet cable to
connect a computer to a hub or switch -- whose ports are wired
the other way from a computer.  Yes, if we had a time machine,
we could go back about 20 years and decree that all ethernet
ports would be wired the same and all ethernet cables would be
crossovers, but it's too late now.

  In our world, crossovers exist to connect switches to other
switches and computers to other computers.

  Using the right cable takes care of the physical connection
(you'll stop getting that "A cable is unplugged" message).  And
devices should get layer 2 right almost by definition.  But at
layer 3 they will each need an IP address and a suitable mask --
and those need to fall within the same "subnet" without
colliding with anything else.

  IF you will be using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing),
Windows will take care of this for you, if rather hamfistedly.
If not, you are going to have to do it manually.  Use the common
mask value 255.255.255.0 and pick one of the bocks of reserved
*private* addresses 192.168.x.y, where x is a number between 0
and 255 (0 and 1 are popular choices by makers of home routers,
so I use 144), and y are two numbers -- one for each PC --
between 1 and 254 (0 and 255 are reserved for other uses).
  You can test the connection using the "ping" command line
command.  For instance, from PC 192.168.144.1, you run "ping
192.168.144.2" and should see that the other machine is
answering.

  Ideally, you should be able to refer to the machines by name
rather than by address, but check with the address first so you
know if you are seeing a connection poblem or a name-resolution
problem.  (Behind the scenes, each name must be "resolved" to an
address.)

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com