From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 06:00:22 -0400
> On Sun, 27 May 2001 17:36:19 -0400 Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> > The problem that you will encounter is that the Bios is probably
> > too old to accept hard drives larger than 8.4Gb, and an upgrade
> > will fix that. IMO, a bios upgrade is preferable to having to use
> > the disk manager program that comes with the hard drive.
> >
> > Hal T
>
> Can Hal please explain this preference?

Yes I can Demetri.

When trying to install a 20Gb hard drive on an older Compaq Presario, the
disk manger program that came with the hard drive would only allow the hard
disk to be partitioned into 10 partitions, 2Gb per partition. That's like
having ten 2Gb hard drives on the system, and it is a mess. Another reason
is that if the person ever upgrades his sytem to a newer one, with a newer
bios that can take large hard drives, that disk manager program has to be
removed from the hard drive, and you cannot remove it even with a complete
format of the hard drive. It has to be removed by using the diskette. If a
bios upgrade is available, then that is the choice I would make, and I know
that Compaq has these upgrades on their site. It's just a matter of knowing
where to go to download it for the specific Compaq model that the person
has, and Compaq tech support can direct them to that site.

Hal T

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>