From:
Chris Rivenbark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:01:42 -0700
Just upgraded a system to an Asus A7V motherboard w/ an AMD Thunderbird
900MHz CPU (128MB PC100 SDRAM).
Everything seemed to work fine except that the boot up process was
incredibly slow.  Once in the OS (Win98 first Ed), it was fine.

Config:
Two Maxtor 20 + GB IDE Hard Drives on Primary IDE Channel 1
One CD-ROM drive and one Zip-100 Drive on Secondary IDE Channel 2

(There are 4 IDE channels on this board)

One SCSI CD-R drive using an Adaptec 2600 SCSI adapter
I suspect that the SCSI ID process may be slowing things down.
Another issue, too, might be that there are a hec of a lot of fonts
possibly that were loaded w/ all the user's graphics software.

Any suggestions as to how I might go about finding the bottle neck?

===

A 2nd issue -(I'm including it here in case they might be related).
The user called up and described what sounds like a problem w/ the board

detecting the CPU properly.  She's getting prompts to enter setup and
correct
the issue on boot up.  This followed a system lock up when her ISP
install
service loaded his CD into her CD-ROM drive.  The CD would not finish
and the system locked up.  Subsequent reboots including power offs
yields the
same results w/ the BIOS setup msgs.

The board is currently configured to automatically detect the CPU
(jumperless).
What I'll do is, reconfigure the mobo to use the jumpers and dip
switches to
define the CPU settings rather than use the jumperless.  What I don't
understand
is how it "forgot" the settings in the first place.  Power hit?

===

I'd be very greatful for any feedback you folks could offer.

TIA

--

Chris Rivenbark

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,