From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 12:59:13 -0700
I can help with one of your questions -- CPU vs. onboard chipsets.  Another way
of looking at it is software vs. hardware.

It is becoming more and more popular to offer very inexpensive hardware items
that use the computer's CPU to provide the muscle to operate that hardware item,
instead of building that ability into the hardware component itself.

Several examples: Modems, printers, scanners.  (Sound and video provided on the
motherboard itself rather than as a separate card are also examples.)

In all of these categories, the manufacturer saves signficant design and
manufacturing costs. You, the consumer, pay less for the item.

The easiest way to tell the difference between one of these devices with its own
muscle and one that relies on your computer's CPU to provide the muscle is to
look at the "system requirements". If the system requirements list "Windows 3.1
or Windows 95" and makes no mention of DOS, you can assume the item is going to
use your CPU.  If the system requirements list "DOS, Windows 3.1 or Windows 95",
then the device will not be relying on your CPU for most of its capabilities.

The hidden cost to the consumer is the fact that there is significant burden put
on your CPU to operate these sorts of "Windows only" peripherals.  In other
words, everything slows down. In some cases, things slow down a LOT.  In
addition, these software-driven devices are more prone to configuration problems
and similar issues. That is simply because hardware is less changeable and
capable of corruption than software.

Generally, then, the "Windows only" devices present the consumer with a clear
choice: Less cost and less capability and/or stability.  For many, the cost
savings is well worth the slowdown, which may be imperceptible to them, and
taking a chance on stability problems.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego
mailto:[log in to unmask]