Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:56:42 +0000
Greetings Paul and list--

The spontaneous reboots are, indeed, one of the symptoms
of a 'sasser attack' (especially when a message from a NT?????
service appears with a 60 second countdown till shutdown). This page at Microsoft links to removal instructions including a method for halting the shutdown to allow for cleanup.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

A virus scan may not detect this, as such an attack is the result of
a vulnerability in the operating system itself.  This attack requires no
interaction on the part of a user at all.  It occurred to a client of mine
as I spoke with him on the phone to direct him to a site for an office
software registration.  With the instructions to which the above page
links, we were able to keep his computer running, stop the required
services, download and apply the patch.

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert
-----------------------------------
and I'm hovering like a fly
waiting for the windshield on the
freeway." Genesis

> Hi,
>
> I experienced a lot of this kind of activity and found that Sasser was
> on my machine so a virus scan would also be a good idea.
>
> Paul.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com