Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 01:02:45 -0500
How old is the computer? Yes, it does sound like a hard drive problem but I'd check the battery because it keeps the harddrive info in CMOS. To check it out:

Bootup and go into BIOS and see if the Hard drive is recognized. If it can't be recognized than the Hard drive could be bad.

Also an intermitten connection either on the ribbon cable or the power plug can cause this same problem and for that matter, even a faulty power supply could cause a simular problem.

And of course, before you condemn the Hardrive-- you could replace it with a known good one (I keep several 300 to 500 meg drives around for that very purpose.)and let the computer run for several hours because this is an intermitten problem which are the worse to nail down.--Mike Michel

 --- On Wed 02/05, Gregory A. Moyer wrote:
Subject: [PCBUILD] Boot problem

when computer boots I get hard drive error, press any key to resume.
If I press a key I get boot error insert boot disk.If I restart computer
with no disk in floppy sometimes it will boot to windows ok.This happens
several times a day. I beleive this to be a hard drive problem? Possibly
a bad drive? Thanks for any help.  Greg

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml