From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 14:07:00 -0500
Hi Walter,
You don't mention control panel device manager, I would check it out.
 Along with the other suggestions, I would add that Win95 may be assuming
an alternative pointing device, maybe a bus mouse or some unorthodox deal.
 Its happened to me, although I admit you would expect this only in a
notebook (like a thinkpad).  Remove the device manager entry for it and the
mouse "suddenly" works.  The other thing is win95 shouldn't complain about
the serial port used.  I know from experience in a new install either port
1 or 2 is fine for attaching the mouse, win95 finds it fine.  Of course if
win95 doesn't report a port, that would explain why it doesn't find a mouse
supposedly attached to it.

From:   Walter W. McKinley[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

    I am having trouble getting a serial mouse installed on a system
while installing Win95 OSR2 on a new Seagate 2.1 gig HD. I tried to
eliminate defective hardware variables by swapping 2 VX Pro MBs, 1
430!HX MB (that was running the serial mouse originally), 3 different 9
pin serial ports/cables, 4 different mice (2 which I know work). I made
sure that pin#1 was lined up with the red cable wire.

    I have let Win95 search for the mouse, and I've tried to enter the
serial mouse information manually. The only common variable between the
MBs is they all have Award BIOS. The other hardware to note: Pentium 75,
16 megs EDO. I left all other peripherals off to make sure PnP wasn't
grabbing the IRQs for something else.

Walter McKinley