From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:09:37 EST
In a message dated 2/17/03 12:48:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> >Someone who runs an office wants to network 5 computers so each user can
> >access a database (located on one computer). He wants to know if he
> >should buy a server or just use 5 regular desktops. All 5 would not always
> >be accessing the database, probably only 3 at a time. I wasn't sure which
> >way to go. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of using an actual
> >server. Dell sells desktops, but they also list a server that has a
> >Celeron processor.

For what it's worth,

I'd agree with Dave Gillett on this one.  Although I'm a CNE, my niche is
small office systems.  With only 5 users, the expense of network software,
hardware and maintenance is overkill for this size of a business.  I always
do a "needs analysis" first.  What does the customer want to accomplish?  In
your case, a peer to peer set up with a dedicated system for the database
would be sufficient and still allow for growth in users.  However, there
appears to be a substantial need for a backup system, either tape backup, cdr
backup or whatever you can afford.  It would seem that the database is
"mission critical".

Just my 2cents,
Kevin Nowicki

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: