From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 01:28:15 -0600
From: Peter Ramins :Subject: [PCBUILD] Big Problem has me stumped

> Ok... I have a Pentium 200 mmx, 96 megs of ram, Maxtor 20 gig drive,
E-tech
> non win 56k modem (isa), SoundBlaster Live! soundcard (pci), and STB
> Velocity 4400 with 16 megs, Riva TnT chipset (pci).
>
> When i removed my old motorola hst / win modem and replaced it with the
new
> isa modem, the sound card stopped working. However, the sound card works
in
> other systems. Before anyone suggests irq conflict, here is what I have
> done:
>
> 1. Obviously, removed modem to see if that was the culprit, since the
> soundcard worked right before i installed it.
>
> 2. toggled the bios setting 'pnp aware os' to on / off with no effect. (I
> had to do this when i initially installed the SB, it didn't auto detect at
> first, way back in the day)
>
> 3. Via bios, disabled all com ports, since I'm using internal modem and
ps/2
> mouse. disabled printer port as well.
>
> 4. Tried soundcard in different machine to verify that it still works, it
> does, it autodetected and worked just fine.
>
> 5. Reinstalled windows.
>
> I don't think it's a config problem with windows since I don't even see it
> detected in POST, like all the other cards, and the dos drivers won't work
> when windows isn't loaded.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wit's end here, no idea what
> do short of getting a new motherboard and processor, (and case) which i'm
> not ready to do.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Peter Ramins

Peter,

I had the same problem with a sound blaster live but I had installed a NIC.
The sound card was not recognized by the bios at all.  It had worked
perfectly before installing the NIC.  To solve the problem I uninstalled the
drivers for the sound blaster live, including removing the inf file ( found
in the windows directory, inf file, other file in the inf file).  I then
shut down the machine took out both the NIC and the sound card and
reinstalled the sound card in a different pci slot closer to the number 1
slot on my motherboard.  I booted the PC and the card was recognized,
installed the drivers, then went to "Device Manager" (found by right
clicking "My Computer", selecting properties, selecting the "Drive Manager"
tab, then the "resources" tab) and changed the settings that Plug & Pray had
assigned for the "Creative Miscellaneous Devices" "Creative SB Live! SB16
Emulation" to the normal ranges for a sound card (I/O 0220-022F, I/O
0330-0331, I/O 0388-038B, IRQ 5, DMA 1, DMA 5) shut down the PC again and
installed the NIC in a PCI slot.  On my computer Plug & Pray installed the
"Creative SB Live! SB16 Emulation" with values that some older games and
programs could not find. Booted up again and the NIC was recognized,
installed the drivers and still had the sound.  The card I have seems to be
very touchy to any changes that are made inside the computer and just quits
working or even being recognized by the bios.  Hope this will help.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>