From:
Paul Roeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:12:51 EST
Hello,

This will be my first successful post to this list (don't ask).  I'm
relatively new to computers and want to build my own.  I'll preface this with
some information of my knowledge so you will get an idea how to respond
(should you decide to).

I've used several MS software packages (not an expert in any).
I've installed service releases, patches and updates to some software.
I've never installed an OS.
I know what a driver is but wouldn't be able to pick one out in a list.
I've added a network card to a computer but the computer "found new hardware"
and prompted me through the software installation.
I've upgraded/added RAM to a computer but never touched a CPU.
I've never touched a jumper but I know what they are and what they are for.
I have a slight understanding of the Master/slave relationship.
I know very little about CMOS and BIOS.
I know there are SCSI, AGP, IDE slots and one or more FDC slots.
Don't know what IRQ's do per se, but know they are important.
I know what partitioning is but not how to do it.
Have little understanding of FAT16/32 but know this is important.
I know the expandability is dependent on the motherboard.
Finally, I know enough to be grounded when I'm tinkering inside a computer.

My idea of building a computer is as follows (not having any experience);
1. Purchase the necessary hardware (case, motherboard, monitor, mouse,
keyboard, sound card, video card, CPU, RAM, HD, power supply, fans, CD drive,
Floppy drive and modem.  (Not sure if cables come with any of this stuff.
Also, not sure if parallel or serial ports come with this stuff either).  I'm
sure I've missed something here, so please let me know.  Also, there must be
compatibility issues to work out so I hope you don't mind follow up questions.
2. Assemble the components.
3. Turn on the computer. (Do I hear POST beep here?)
4. Partition the HD. (Don't know how)
5. Install the OS. (Send the check to Bill)
6. Install necessary drivers.
7. Install my favorite software.
8. Throw the whole thing at the wall because it doesn't work. (OK, I won't do
that)

I'm sure that if I follow the above, the computer won't work.  Some of those
steps must be out of order and some steps are missing completely.  Since I
believe in doing as much research as I can perhaps someone would suggest good
reading, websites, or knowledge base/archive sites and how to use them.

My apologies for such an exhausting post but I assure you all future posts
will be shorter.  Thanks for any input, ideas or suggestions.
Paul Roeth