Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 02:43:13 -0400
We had the same experience with the Stylus 600 where I work.
Epson said the problem was the printer was not used enough.
They also said the printer must be turned off before turning
off the computer because the machine automatically cleans
the print head as part of its shut-down routine. We found
the heads had to be aligned frequently.

The printer was repaired by Epson under warranty, but it did
the same thing a month later, so they sent us a brand new
one.  The second one wasn't much better and it also had some
mechanical idiosyncrasies.  Sometimes, the head just went up
and back on its track without stopping.

We ultimately got an HP 1170, which is a wonderful machine.
It's a color printer, copier and flatbed scanner all in one,
and has never once faltered in two years.  HP discontinued
this model for some reason.  Newer models look similar, have
some of the same capabilities, but are smaller and about
half the price of the 1170.

Steven Gaber
Oldsmar, FL