From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:15:44 -0400
If you have not changed any hardware and/or software recently before
the problem started, I would suggest that the OS has become corrupted,
i.e. reg files and/or drivers.

You said you have restored the OS several times. Was this a clean
install, i.e. fdisk, format, install OS and then install drivers and
appps. If not I would suggest this method because  (re)installing over
an existing OS may not (or usually will not) correct the situation. It
is always worth trying since it is easier and less time and if it
works, it works. However, usually you have to do a clean install.

If you have been doing a clean install, then I would suggest
incompatible and/or poor drivers for some piece of hardware that you
recently installed and or software that you recently installed.

If you have not changed any of that, then it must be a flaky,
intermittent hardware. I would check you CPU fan/heatsink first
especially if it is a sleeve bearing fan and not a ball bearing fan.
When a CPU overheats, then it will start producing all kinds of errors
and corruption. Also note that these fans (especially sleeve bearing
but also ball bearings) can go intermittent. This is more often the
case than just total failure. So one time when you start the puter it
will run and keep running until the next cold boot and may not turn
that time and cause overheating of the CPU.  Then when you shut it off
and remove the cover for inspection and boot, it runs again.

After that, it could be any of the hardware going south. Unless it
shows up in a diagnostic test which it probably will not, it means
replacing one by one.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663