From:
Bob Rastrelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:32:20 -0500
In the Tech Support World Actiontech modem is known as the Modem from Hell. If
one installs and it works one should cosider themselves lucky. If it doesn't
install it is, in most instances, not going to install no matter what you do. We
cringe when we get a call on a Actiontech Modem

John Chin wrote:

> At 04:04 PM 8/28/1998  Jim Meagher  wrote:
> >
> >Okay, I forgot about bus-mastering motherboards but it still doesn't change
> >the basic statement I was making.  No matter which slot you plug a modem
> >into, it will not affect the functionality of the card.
> >>
> >> Not always true, some motherboards have both bus-mastering &
> >> non-bus-mastering PCI
> >> slots.
> >>
> >> Richard Quilhot
>
> What is ostensibly true may not be practically true.
>
> In a computer with a PCI bus, the system BIOS allocates
> all resources to all PCI devices whether they are on the
> motherboard or in card slots. As the computer boots up,
> the BIOS finds out what type of resources (I/O, Memory,
> IRQ, etc.) each PCI device needs. The BIOS then allocates
> the resources at it sees fit. The PCI devices cannot request
> specific resources or in any other way control the resources
> allocated by the BIOS.
>
> Therefore, moving the PCI card to a different slot may cause
> the system to allocate a different IRQ, I/O port or memory to
> the card, thereby avoiding a problem with resource assignment.
> Many PCI systems allow you to re-allocate PCI resources in
> CMOS setup, so you don't have to shuffle cards to accomplish
> this.
>
> Furthermore, the shared PCI/ISA slot (the slot closest to the
> PCI to ISA Bridge Chip) and the slot closest to the LocalBus
> to PCI bridge chip(s) may cause various PCI adapters to
> perform differently due to timing, contention, or interference,
> depending on the relative positioning of the devices on the PCI
> bus. Moving things around may alleviate the problem.
>
> Therefore, it is reasonable to expect different results from
> putting the PCI modem in a different PCI slot. Also, you
> should verify the modem card meets the PCI 2.1 specification.
> HTH.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Chin
>
>                                   -----
>        **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**
>         Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]> or Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**