From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:01:06 -0800
At 09:36 PM 1/7/2006, you wrote:
>I am considering upgrading my system to an AMD FX-57 or FX-60.
>
>These are 64 bit processors that require the 64 bit edition of Windows.

They do not "require" XP PRO 64. They run just fine with any 32 bit OS or
even 16 bit DOS. They are, however, able to take advantage of a 64 bit OS.

>I read in a "user review" of the 57 at Newegg that neither NAV nor McAffee
>support this version of
>Windows.

A lot of software has problems with XP 64, and drivers are still scarce for
the majority of devices. Don't look for this to change anytime soon.

>Is this true, and if they do not, are there good 64 bit anti-virus
>programs available that anyone  here
>has some experience with?

There are some, NAV Corporate has a 64 bit version out for one. But don't
expect software manufactures to rush getting out 64 bit support. They don't
trust Microsoft not to change the code around when Vista is finished. And
then there will be changes, bug fixes, .... it will go on for a while.

This doesn't mean that 64 bit processors aren't at the top tier performance
wise.

>Also, do most higher level programs run seamlessly on the 64 bit processors?

I wouldn't say that. And I wouldn't encourage anybody to move to a 64 bit
OS without a good reason.
64 bit is the future, but we are at least a year away, before I would
consider moving to a 64 bit OS. There is no advantage to doing it now.  On
the other hand I just bought a AMD Semperon 64 3400 that I am thinking of
using in a media box.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/