From:
Glen Sagers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:16:29 -0600
Gary,
FAT32 works on any drive, but by default (i.e. unless you force it) only on
drives above 540 MB.  The 2 gigabyte limit is the maximum partition size you
can use under FAT16.  FAT32 is nice, but actually slower, at least
theoretically, than FAT16, since there are more clusters on a given disk, due
to the smaller cluster size.  However, I'd hate to partition a 40 Gig drive
into 20 2GB clusters!

Regarding the soundcard/modem combo, for other packard-bells I've seen, you'll
need to get a driver from packard bell.  Check the devices carefully in device
manager to see if it's a resource conflict or a lack of drivers.  I've never
seen windows include drivers for packard bell hardware.

Glen

> John -
>
> Thanks. It worked!
>
> I installed the correct driver, and I was able to use the CD to install
> Windows 98. I didn't have to remove DOS, but I suppose that I am still on
> FAT16. The HDD is only around 400 MB. I thought that I read somewhere that
> FAT32 is good to use when the HDD is around 2 gigabytes.
>
> Also, I still don't have any sound. It looks like the soundcard is combined
> with the modem or something. When I look in Device Manager there are
> exclamation marks on the Printer Port, sound card, and Sound Card
> Controller. I think I saw the words Aztec and Washington, something like
> that. Some kind of resource conflict, where there isn't an available IRQ.
> The Hardware troubleshooter doesn't seem to help.
>
> Also, now that there is a operaing system installed, I see that the monitor
> isn't giving me the right colors. The normally Windows default blue
> background looks dark green. Increasing the brightness doesn't seem to
> help. Maybe the monitor is causing "other problems" besides just a bad
> picture. Thanks again.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com