From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 23:28:51 +1000
W7.

I recently installed a new ATI graphics card. Since then, I've lost
right-click drag-and-drop function. Left-click drag and drop is normal.

Right click context menu is normal, so it's not a mouse problem. I've tried
another mouse, no difference. When right dragging, the item appears to move
with the cursor as usual, but dropping it in the new location, nothing
happens. No menu, no action.

I rolled back the display drivers and uninstalled the ATI Catalyst
software, but the problem persists.

I don't particularly want to use System Restore, as the display with the
new graphics card is noticeably improved, even without the ATI drivers.
(Uninstalling these seemed to make no difference to the display).  System
Restore will revert the system back to the previous lower-resolution
display.   I'll try it if there's no other simple solution to this problem.

I ran Check Disk and rebooted, but it didn't fix the problem.

I've tried or tested a registry restoration, mouse settings, a sticky
escape key, start menu properties ( - 'Enable context menus and
dragging)  all to no avail. I haven't installed any new software recently.
I've run several different antimalware scans (Avira, Malwarebytes, McAfee
Stinger)---all clean.

Maybe the new graphics card is just a coincidence and has nothing to do
with the problem.

How can I regain my right-drag function? Left-dragging has always been a
real pain. Much of the time it comes up with unintended results and you
never quite know what's happening, unless you can  remember all its rules.

Don Penlington

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com