From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:56:32 -0400
If you are getting messages about problems with the hard drive, I would
suggest starting over and using your hard drive makers utility disk as the
first step.  I'd go ahead and use the utility that writes zeros to the whole
drive, first, and then I'd run the utility that does a thorough scan, for
good measure.

Don't have your computer connected to the internet (cable or ADSL modems)
when installing WinXP, unless you run through a router.  You have a catch22
situation where the freshly installed OS is vulnerable to attack, but you
need to download the update to fix this.  Enable WinXPs firewall or install
a third party firewall before you go online to get the WinXP updates.

Is your 8mb graphics a separate card or integrated into the motherboard?  If
it uses the system's main memory, it will seem sluggish, even in a 2D
environment, compared to dedicated card with its own video memory.
Otherwise, a 8mb video card would only seem slow if you play 3D games.
128mb of ram is a bit low for WinXP (kind of like Win98 on 64mb, roughly)
which compounds the problem of using 8mb of this for video memory, if you
have integrated graphics.

Firewall software (and/or a router), up to date virus definitions, and up to
date OS patches are the primary ingredients in keeping your system virus
free.

John Sproule