From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:16:30 -0500
Hains wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have just tried to install a new HD. My attempts have failed, Windows
> refuses to acknoledge the new HD.
> It seems however that after much fiddling with FDisk and formating that I
> have now lost the contents of one of the (compressed) partitions of my
> original HD, although how I manged that I have no idea as I was careful to
> ensure I only used FDisk on the 2nd drive and only formatted the F: drive
> which is the letter asigned to the new drive.
>
> Does anyone know how I can recover my E: ?
> And also does anyone know how I can get this new HD to work ?
>
> **PC Info**
> Award BIOS (1996)
> Pentium 100mhz
> 32mb RAM
> 1 Gig EIDE Western Digital HD (original drive) Master
> -C:\ (Compressed, 200mb)
> -D:\ (Compressed, 412mb)
> -E:\ (Compressed, 412mb)
> 4 Gig EIDE Western Digital HD (new HD) Slave
> 8x CD-ROM (2nd Master)

   It's been a long time since I've used Drivespace, but it seems to me
that if you compressed your 1 Gig HD and it was three partitions, then
you had three additional drive letters down the line which held the
compressed volumes for each partition. F could indeed have been one of
the compressed volume drives. Using an unformat utility like NU you
might get it back. I'd suggest you try to back up data files and then
start all over using the newer 4 GB as your boot drive and the 1 GB as
the slave.

All the best,

Russell Smith
Region 14 ESC Abilene, Texas