From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:21:40 -0600
First of all, NO modem can currently connect at higher than 53.3k, according
to federal law, so there is his FIRST mistake.  Second, it all comes down to
how many switches your connection goes through, the quality of the copper in
place, and the type/quality of the racks you are dialing into.  I have used
USR hardware loyally for years now, and have never had an unresolved problem
(mostly due to inexperience with new OS's, etc.) dialing up or with WinFax
(versions 8 and 9 so far). I highly recommend them (especially over any
software modem, especially the LT's...bad taste there :).

I would recommend Adding ATS13=64&U8&N30&K0 to the "Extra Settings" field in
Control Panel -> Modems -> Properties on your Modem -> Advanced. What this
does is: 1) Disables x2 (S13=64) and thus only using the V.90 protocol, 2)
Sets a lower connect limit of 14400k (&U8) and an upper connect limit of
45333k (N30), disables v.42 compression (&K0), thereby enabling STAC
compression on Win95/98 machines with "Enable Software Compression" checked
in Dial Up Networking. (Do not add the &K0 if you are using an operating
system other than 95/98). If this provides a stable, fast connection (no
retrains/renegotiations), you can up the NXX parameter (i.e. N31, N32, etc)
until the connection becomes unstable (lots of retrains/renegotiations) or
lower the NXX until the connection stabilizes. This will find the "sweet
spot" for your phone lines.

Call around and find an ISP that uses USR modems in their dial-up
arrays...tell them what you are trying to do and I am sure they will give
you a "trial dial-up."  I have yet to have one refuse me...Hope this
helps...

Brad
Tulsa, OK

                     visit our download web page at: