From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:34:22 -0500
At 02:31 PM 1/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to install a second CDROM drive in my computer, a 200
>mhz Pentium system.  The CDROM drive is a Mitsumi 16x.  The machine
>already has a Mitsumi 16X CDROM drive in it, connected by a ribbon
>cable AND a 4 pin audio cable, to the sound card.  The system also
>has 2 hard drives in it, and no more connectors on the IDE cable.

<snip>

>What are the basic things I need to do to add this second CDROM ?

The second CDROM can go on the same ribbon cable as the original CDROM, if
there is another connector on the ribbon cable.  You will also need to make
sure one CDROM is jumpered for "master" and the other for "slave".  Look on
the top of the drive near the cable connections for jumper settings.  If
your ribbon cable has only two connectors (one on each end), you will need
to get one with three connectors.  As for the audio cable, you do not need
it unless you want to get audio off the second CDROM as well.  If you want
both CDROMs to supply sound (but only one at a time, I think), you may be
able to find a Y-cable, or make one yourself out of a discarded cable.

The 40-pin connectors on the sound card are for "not-quite-IDE" CDROM
drives.  I don't think the Mitsumi will work there at all.

HTH

J. Paul Jones
http://www.mindspring.com/~jpjcet/

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: